Wednesday, October 2, 2013

October 2, 2013
It's been 13 months since Mom went to stay at Marietta Care and Rehab.
Mary called me Thursday to say we had to get her house on the market by the end if the month and get the paperwork to Peggy at Family Services. That would be Monday.
So, I started calling Realtors at work. Got in touch with Dan Held of Coldwell Bankers who went to church with Mom and Dad and remembered them. We met at moms house after work so he can look at it and measure the rooms. We go everywhere, attic, basement, building, garage.
Friday, left work early and went to see  Dan Held. I explained our situation to him and told him that Mary was supposed to have Power of Attorney. He asked me where everyone lived and then asked why the one who lives the farthest away would be the one who needed to sign papers??  Mary calls me in the middle of the meeting and she won't lie and say she has p.o.a. so she winds up calling the attorney in Marietta recommended by the nursing home months ago. Months ago SISTA!!
She gets me an appointment first thing Monday and we agree that I have to be the one to sign legal documents for Mom. Dan Held shows me comparable listings in the area. Some have sold and some are still on the market. He thinks we should list it at $25,000 and will probably get between that and 20,000. Tells me we need to clean out the rooms and take up the carpet.Then he'll take some pictures on Monday and get the property listed.
Saturday Bob and I go to Mom's and spend 2 hours dragging trash out to the curb. I took Loretta's stuff out of the garage, everything I thought Mary might want that was still there  and brought some things down for baby Sophia's sale. I looked thru Mary's papers and found information on the credit line loan on the house for the realtor. Yay!
Then Sunday Jeff and Sophia, Loretta and Helen show up at Mom's and we do a good job on the house. Jeff tore out the carpet in the entry, living room and dining room. It really helped.
Monday I went to the lawyers. It's a little more complicated because Mom is an Ohio resident now and I'm not. Also because the house is in West Virginia and Mom is an Ohio resident. But they assured me that it was just paperwork and it was okay that I had signed the real estate form stating I had limited p.o.a. They just had to figure out what paperwork needed to be filed in what state.
Then I took paperwork about the house sale to Peggy at Family Services.
Then I stopped by the nursing home to sign a paper about Mom's flu shot,
Then I copied paperwork about the WesBanco loan and appraisal for the realtor and dropped it off with a key. And also faxed the property listing to Peggy since they have lost paperwork before ... taking no chances.
Then I went home and started getting a list of every one's address for the lawyers. Got an e-mail from the lawyer saying I need to get the doctor to sign WV and Ohio paperwork. Downloaded and printed that to take to the nursing home.
Tuesday I went to Marietta again, to the nursing home and dropped off the legal papers for the doctor  to sign. Talked to the social worker.
Wednesday, finally got all the addresses the lawyers need to get things rolling. All they're waiting on now is the paperwork from the doctor.Talked to Dan Held, the house is listed. He took some surprisingly good photos. There are 2 agents showing it today.
That's all. Except the long ladder is missing from the side of the building and Mary's dolly is missing from inside the building.


No comments:

Post a Comment